There’s a battle within, we know the feeling when we fight inside with a desire that pulls in opposite directions. Unhealthy friendships – Gossip Conversations
Expanding on the context of the fruit of the Spirit in scripture
- Before the fruits of the Spirit, we see the works of the flesh
- We understand the importance of the fruit, by seeing the destruction by the works of the flesh.
[Gal 5:16-18 ESV]
What is Jesus’ character, and what is he like?
[Gal 5:22-23 ESV] – 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
The word used means endurance, to persevere through suffering
(hypomonē) Hoop-om-on-ay’ – waiting for something to happen
(makrothymia) Mak-roth-oo-mee’-ah – holding firm through suffering
- [1Pe 3:20 ESV] 20 because they formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.
- God’s long-suffering with the pre-flood world’s great wickedness is remarkable.
- According to Bishop James Ussher (a prolific scholar and church leader) working in 17th-century chronology, the pre-flood period lasted for 1656 years
- After his suffering for a long period of time, debatably a population of around 3.9 billion, he yielded 8 people – would we have suffered great wickedness for the same time, with all His power?
- Jesus suffered the consequences of humanities sin, agonizingly
- Jesus completed the Father’s desire through suffering
- Embrace the full timeline of suffering
- Learn the joy of God through troubles and pain, the reward is great
- We must embrace suffering when it comes to being produced through us.
- [Rom 5:3 ESV] 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance.
- Endurance is essential to our Christian journey, without it we fail. Let’s be taught by suffering to endure.
- Remember God is greater than your suffering. You must trust in his kindness!
- [Tit 3:4-6 ESV] 4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
- Share the good news with others
- Tell and show them salvation is from God.
- This is the ultimate kindest we could ever show anyone.
- Direct them to the kindest one of all. Jesus.
- [1Pe 5:6-7 ESV] 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- Care for others
- Be aware of the needs of people around you.
- Listen sincerely to conversations
- Offer help and be ready to support through God’s strength
- [Psa 17:7 NKJV] 7 Show Your marvelous lovingkindness by Your right hand, O You who save those who trust [in You] From those who rise up [against them].
- Protect others from danger and injustice.
- Stand up for those who are vulnerable and exposed.
- [Rom 2:4 ESV] 4 Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?
- We too warn others of the reality of the world
- Speak against sin in our society and stand for what is good, in regards to scripture.
- That’s kind!
Our lifestyle must reflect God’s kindness