We all want the ‘Good Life’ and think I will be really happy if I had…. true love, a new job, children, more money etc.
The world tries to convince us that having more will lead us to happiness and contentment.
Jesus says come follow me, deny self and pick up your cross.
What is self-denial?
- It’s a total rejection of all self-worship and attempting to run your life for your glory.
- Instead submitting to God’s plan, finding joy and contentment in what God has given us and seeking God’s glory over our own happiness.
What does it mean to pick up your cross?
- It’s a picture of someone saying yes to death.
- Following Jesus is relinquishing control.
- Maybe called to suffer and die.
How do we do this and follow Jesus in our everyday life when the challenges come?
- Live lives based on eternity:
- Mark 8:38
- Do we want our hearts to be captured by the world’s version of the good life or God’s version of the good life, which is one day meeting him in heaven.
- Even the good things in this world can disappoint and can’t live up to the longing in our heart, only Jesus fulfils that.
- 1 Peter 1:6-7
- Know that Jesus has overcome the world
- John 16:33
- 1 Corinthians 15:57
- We overcome the world through Jesus.
- There will be trials and suffering but in Christ we can do all things and won’t let the world overcome us, but instead we will be an overcomer.
- Make good choices:
- Choose to stand
- Choose wisdom
- Choose joy in all circumstances
Giving up everything to gain Jesus is gaining everything.